Monday, 24 August 2015

Korean Liberation Day

I was gonna post this with my last entry but it felt like it needed it's own post.

So Korean Liberation Day happened recently. We got a day off from school, which some of us spent being lazy and playing board games.

That Saturday was the big event though. I think I was told this is the 75th anniversary of Korea's Liberation from Japan so it was a big one.

Me and Veronica were supposed to go shopping that day but stumbled into the parade instead. How about a million pictures of that? Okay:


This guy was making confetti angels.











The live band. With their lead guitarist on the roof.




This lady was kind of our buddy during the parade. 


























My favorite part was right here when everyone just started booking it down the street shouting and waving flags. 



































만세, Korea! 

Korea never fails to impress. When the band started playing we got down to dance with some of the people in the street and had a blast. As we left, people kept asking to take our pictures with the flags we'd been given and an Ajjussi insisted we not leave without fans and windmills as souvenirs. The paper confetti was still everywhere a week later.


Here's a video of the tail-end of the festivities with the live band singing "Arirang" (A really popular Korean folk song). I had Arirang stuck in my head for 2 weeks after this:



No comments:

Post a Comment